The kiritsuke is a multipurpose traditional Japanese knife typically used by experienced chefs. Slicing, chopping, julienne, brunoise—a skilled cook can do just about anything with this knife. Melding the sharpness of carbon steel with stainless steel’s corrosion resistance and ease of maintenance, Shun Blue represents a leap forward in knife technology. The blade features a core of blue steel—a fine-grained carbon steel known for retaining an extremely sharp edge—sandwiched between two layers of corrosion-resistant stainless steel, resulting in a blazingly sharp knife that is still easy to maintain.
- Manufacturer: Shun
- Includes: Knife, sheath
- Material: Carbon steel, stainless steel, pakkawood
- Care: Hand wash only. Wash only with mild soaps
- Use: Make sure knives are completely dry before storing. In coastal areas or in other environments in which knives will be regularly exposed to salt air, coat blades with a light coat of food-grade mineral oil to prevent rusting
- Dimensions: 10" blade with 5¼" handle
- Weight: 8½ oz.
- Warranty: Lifetime warranty
- Made in Japan; sheath manufactured in China
Free sharpening on all Shun cutlery for as long as you own it. Click for details
- Rockwell Hardness of 61 offers incredible sharpness and edge retention
- Japanese artisans use san mai construction techniques to sandwich a core of blue steel between two layers of mirror polished stainless steel before hand sharpening the blade to a 16° double-beveled edge
- Perfectly balanced pakkawood handle features a variation of a traditional hexagonal shape modified to meet demanding requirements for secure grip, comfort and control
- Knife will eventually develop a beautiful, dark patina along the cutting edge that helps protect the carbon-steel core from corrosion and is recognized by chefs and professional cooks as the mark of a much-loved knife
- Developed in partnership with award-winning chef Chris Cosentino, known for his nose-to-tail cooking philosophy
The Shun Blue Steel collection was developed in partnership with Chris Cosentino, an award-winning chef internationally renowned for his nose-to-tail cooking philosophy. Chef Cosentino chose traditional Japanese blade shapes that excel at preparing proteins to reflect this philosophy. Featuring a blue carbon-steel core sandwiched between two layers of mirror-polished stainless steel, Shun Blue Steel knives deliver a razor-sharp cutting edge without the additional maintenance of a carbon steel knife. The blades are hand-sharpened and enhanced with beautiful grey pakkawood handles modeled after traditional Japanese designs. Shun Blue Steel knives will eventually develop a dark patina along the cutting edge that helps protect the cutting core and ensures that no two blades are alike.
Spend $500 on Shun cutlery and receive a $50 Sur La Table gift card by mail.