A smaller version of the traditional Japanese noodle knife, the menkiri features a long, straight edge that creates stability when cutting straight down—perfect for cutting fresh pasta, chopping vegetables or creating a chiffonade of fresh herbs. Melding the sharpness of carbon steel with stainless steel’s corrosion resistance and ease of maintenance, Shun Blue represents a leap forward in knife technology. The blade features a core of blue steel—a fine-grained carbon steel known for taking a retaining an extremely sharp edge—sandwiched between two layers of corrosion-resistant stainless steel, resulting in a blazingly sharp knife that is still easy to maintain.
- Manufacturer: Shun
- Includes: Knife, sheath
- Material: Carbon steel, stainless steel, pakkawood
- Care: Hand wash only. Wash only with mild soaps
- Use: Make sure knives are completely dry before storing. In coastal areas or in other environments in which knives will be regularly exposed to salt air, coat blades with a light coat of food-grade mineral oil to prevent rusting
- Dimensions: 8" blade with 4¾" handle
- Weight: 9¾ oz.
- Warranty: Lifetime warranty
- Knife handcrafted in Japan; sheath made in China
- Rockwell Hardness of 61 offers incredible sharpness and edge retention
- Japanese artisans use san mai construction techniques to sandwich a core of blue steel between two layers of mirror polished stainless steel before hand sharpening the blade to a 16° double-beveled edge
- Perfectly balanced pakkawood handle features a variation of a traditional hexagonal shape modified to meet demanding requirements for secure grip, comfort and control
- Knife will eventually develop a beautiful, dark patina along the cutting edge that helps protect the carbon-steel core from corrosion and is recognized by chefs and professional cooks as the mark of a much-loved knife
- Developed in partnership with award-winning Chef Chris Cosentino, known for his nose-to-tail cooking philosophy
The Shun Blue Steel collection was developed in partnership with Chris Cosentino, an award-winning chef internationally renowned for his nose-to-tail cooking philosophy. Chef Cosentino chose traditional Japanese blade shapes that excel at preparing proteins to reflect this philosophy. Featuring a blue carbon-steel core sandwiched between two layers of mirror-polished stainless steel, Shun Blue Steel knives deliver a razor-sharp cutting edge without the additional maintenance of a carbon steel knife. The blades are hand-sharpened and enhanced with beautiful grey pakkawood handles modeled after traditional Japanese designs. Shun Blue Steel knives will eventually develop a dark patina along the cutting edge that helps protect the cutting core and ensures that no two blades are alike.