Bob Kramer Essential Collection 5" Utility Knife
Designed by ABS-certified Master Bladesmith Bob Kramer, the Essential Collection features the quality, beauty and faultless performance characteristic of Kramer knives—all in a package that’s easily accessible to home cooks.
Influenced by traditional European designs, the Essential Collection has been optimized for kitchen use thanks to a wide blade for increased knuckle clearance, a rounded spine for comfort while using a pinch grip, and an ergonomic triple-riveted handle for secure, easy cutting. Revolutionary FC61 steel holds a screaming-sharp edge and is incredibly durable, while the brushed polymer handle, polished bolster and full-tang construction result in a perfectly balanced knife that’s a joy to use.
Each Essential Collection knife draws on the enormous wealth of knife-making knowledge of Seki City, Japan and undergoes a rigorous 100-step, 42-day manufacturing process during which it passes through the hands of 45 expert artisans. As a finishing touch, each knife receives a central mosaic pin handcrafted in Bob Kramer’s personal studio. Built to withstand the pressures of everyday use in busy kitchens, this is one knife that will be with you for years to come.
- Manufacturer: Zwilling J.A. Henckels
- Material: High-carbon stainless steel, polymer (POM)
- Care: Hand wash only
- Dimensions: 5" blade
- Warranty: Lifetime warranty
- Made in Japan
- Designed by ABS-certified Master Bladesmith Bob Kramer, the first Master Bladesmith to specialize in kitchen cutlery, the Essential Collection offers our best value ever on a line of Kramer knives
- Constructed from revolutionary FC61 steel, which features fine-carbide distribution and 61 Rockwell hardness for a razor-sharp, easy-to-maintain edge
- Fine-carbide distribution results in a blade that holds an incredibly sharp angle
- Double Friodur hardening improves the microstructure of the steel for improved cutting performance, corrosion resistance and increased durability
- Blade is extra-wide, so your knuckles don’t impact the cutting board, and features a rounded spine for comfortable pinch gripping
- Brushed polymer handles are hand-ground and feature a complex curvature that mirrors the palm for a secure, supremely comfortable grip
Jacques Pépin once said that he only needed one knife, a Utility Knife. I could believe that statement after using this knife.
The only reason I wouldn't give it five stars is because I don't like the way the POM handle looks after only two months of use. I only hand wash it, but the handle is not a deep, dark black. It looks like it went through a few years of being washed in a dishwashing machine. Despite its looks, the handle FEELS superb. Maybe this is the trade-off for going with the Essential Line, but the steel performance is really superb.
6 months ago
I personally think a good Shun or Myrabi blade is going to be a much better value for equivalent steel and engineering
Questions & Answers