Bitterman’s Himalayan Salt Block
Each block is handpicked from the purest seams located in the 600-million-year-old salt deposits deep under the rugged Punjabi landscape. Boasting the ability to withstand extremes ranging from -320°F to 900°F, this gourmet-quality salt slab is limited only by the creativity of the cook using it.
- Manufacturer: Mark Bitterman
- Dimensions: 8" x 12" x 1.5"
- Ingredients: Salt
- Made in Pakistan
Care & Usage Show
- Hand rinse with water. Do not use soap.
What's In the box? Show
- Salt block (salt block holder sold separately)
New Our salt block holder is a safer and easier way to transport our mineral-rich Himalayan salt block to and from the grill. The holder protects the delicate...See product page for full details »
As directed we placed it on the cool grill & slowly brought it up to temp. The first time we opened the grill lid the salt block literally exploded & hot salt shards were thrown 10 feet from the grill. My kids were there when it happened & could have been injured.
Very disappointed for a costly purchase.
9 months ago
Believe me, I have made some mistakes with this vessel but I have learned something new every time I have used the salt block:
1. Heat it gradually in the oven inside until reaching the highest temperature, then transfer. It's nice to have someone to open the patio door for you.
2. Don't be afraid to use a light coating of EVOO, when grilling delicate fish (such as sea scallops). This way, it does not stick with the searing process. Add oil once on the grill with a basting brush, then your fish.
3. If you plan to serve appetizers on it you will most likely want to invest in a different one (for inside only use). The one from the grill will get discolored after a few uses.
My favorite spread inside on the block is Caprese salad. Just don't let it sit too long as it gets too salty.
My favorite meal so far on the grill block has been "Seared Ahi Tuna" (served with Wasabi Potato Salad).
7 months ago
1 year ago
It is a salt block... keep this in mind when heating and cooling! Follow directions for a great cooking experience!
9 months ago
I will try meat or poultry next.
7 months ago
Questions & Answers
But on a regular gas barbecue I can definitely say, it is remarkable. I seared scallops on it, the key is to heat up slowly, follow directions on heating, then it's pure magic from there!!
Follow instructions to SLOWLY heat, possibly a reason for issues. I love them.
The block takes about 15 minutes to heat up on the grill and is similar to using planks to cook your seafood. I adjust the temperature of my grill between high and medium for a good sear on the shrimp and scallops.
I bought the one salt block, which is adequate for cooking dinner for up to six people. If you are cooking for a large party you may want to purchase 2 salt blocks.
I hope the above information helps!
Remember Himalayan salt in not as salty as other salts. Hope this helps.