Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking by Nathan Myhrvold, Chris Young, and Maxime Bilet
FROM THE PROFESSIONAL CHEF TO THE HOME ENTHUSIAST
This is an indispensable guide for anyone passionate about the art and science of cooking. The authors—scientists, inventors and accomplished cooks in their own right—and their 20-person team at The Cooking Lab have created astounding new flavors and textures using tools like water baths, homogenizers and centrifuges, and ingredients such as hydrocolloids, emulsifiers and enzymes.
This six-volume collection of 2,438 pages is filled with techniques borrowed from the laboratory and step-by-step, illustrated instructions with clear explanations of how these techniques work. With thousands of original photographs and diagrams, the wonderfully illustrated books make the science and technology of cooking easy and engaging. Chefs of all levels will view cooking—and eating—in a whole new light.
- Why plunging food in ice water doesn’t stop the cooking process
- When boiling cooks faster than steaming
- Why raising the grill doesn’t lower the heat
- Why baking is mostly a drying process
- Why deep-fried food tastes best and browns better when the oil is older
- How modern cooking techniques can achieve ideal results without the perfect timing or good luck that traditional methods demand
- Culinary Movements Through History
- Microbiology in the Kitchen
- Food Safety
- Food and Health
- Heat and Energy
- The Physics of Food and Water
- Traditional Cooking
- Cooking in Modern Ovens
- Cooking Sous Vide
- The Modernist Kitchen
- How Muscle Works
- Cutting and Cooking Meat and Seafood
- Salting and Drying, Marinating, and Smoking
- Plants as Food
- Cooking Fruits and Vegetables Sous Vide
- Pressure-Cooking, Microwaving, Frying, and Preserving Plant Foods
- Tender Cuts of Meat
- Tough Cuts of Meat
- Fruits and Vegetables
This lovely and useful spiral-bound manual is printed on waterproof, tear-resistant paper with easy-to-use, condensed versions of all of the parametric and example recipes in volumes 2, 3 and 4, as well as several component recipes from in volume 5.
Questions & Answers
the French version has a 6th volume with recipes on washable pages.
Do you sell the softcover version? with washable pages?