Shun Classic Paring Knife, 4"
The wavy pattern on our blades is called a Damascus look; what gives it that pattern are 16 layers of SUS410 high-carbon stainless steel pounded to 3/1000th of an inch and then “clad” on each side of the VG10 core. This combination of materials gives the blade strength, stain resistance, and incredible cutting performance.
The Cutting Edge
Shun’s cutting edge is ground to an angle of 16 degrees, making it extremely sharp; compare this to the best German knives, which are only ground to only 22 degrees. The exotic Japanese steels used in the cutting core of our knives allow them to hold these razor-sharp edges without the need for excessive re-sharpening.
Free sharpening on all Shun cutlery for as long as you own it. Click for details
VG10 is a new type of stainless steel that has a higher density. This allows the steel to be tempered to a Rockwell hardness of 61, and still have the flexibility and strength to take and keep a perfect edge. VG10’s natural tendency is to remain straight and true, so when it is used, the edge of the blade naturally straightens out and stays sharper longer.
This is the traditional Japanese style of knife making, which uses an extremely hard-carbon steel for the edge. Then a protective layer of stainless steel is clad on each side of the blade.
- Care: Hand wash only
- Dimensions: 4"
- Material: Steel, pakkawood
- Warranty: Limited lifetime warranty
- VG-10 stainless steel is clad with 16 layers of SUS410 high-carbon steel on each side, producing a 33-layer rust-free Damascus look
- VG-10 super steel is composed of carbon, chromium, cobalt, manganese, molybdenum, silicon, and vanadium
- Shun Classics feature ebony pakkawood handles specifically designed for premium applications
- Stainless steel bolsters and end caps
- Damascus-look blade profile reduces sticking and results in less damage to the food being cut and faster prep times
- “D” shape rests precisely in the curve of the fingers as they curl around the handle
- The asymmetrical bolster is ground out more on the right side to provide proper finger placement and an easy, secure grip
- The knives balance perfectly, with the pivot point just ahead of where the handle sweeps out of the blade
- The pakkawood handles provide the beauty of genuine wood, but—because the wood is impregnated with a waterproof resin—the handles are as durable as plastic and dishwasher safe
- Spend $500 on Shun cutlery and receive a $50 Sur La Table gift card by mail.