Shun Classic U2 Ultimate Utility Knife
Shun Classic’s tasteful and contemporary design features a beautiful Damascus–clad blade and D–shaped ebony PakkaWood®handle. Behind the knife’s beauty is function: a razor–sharp blade offering precision performance.
Shun’s VG10 steel core—known for its incredible edge retention—is clad with Damascus stainless steel, then bead–blasted, revealing the woodgrain pattern of the steel that allows the blade to slide easily through food. The result is a knife that’s sharp, durable, and corrosion resistant, as well as beautiful to behold.
NSF–certified knife meets the high–level safety standards for professional kitchens. 6" blade. Dishwasher safe, but hand washing is recommended. Limited lifetime warranty. Handcrafted in Seki City, Japan.
VG10 "SUPER STEEL" CORE The higher density of VG10 steel allows it to be tempered to a Rockwell hardness of 61 and still have the flexibility and strength to take and keep a perfect edge. VG10’s natural tendency is to remain straight and true. When blade is used, the edge automatically straightens out and stays sharp longer.
METICULOUSLY CRAFTED Each Shun Classic knife is constructed using the Kasumi method, a traditional Japanese process used to create Samurai swords. 16 layers of SUS410 high–carbon stainless steel are pounded to 3/1000ths of an inch, then clad on each side of the VG10 core. This 32–layer forged construction gives the blade strength, stain resistance, incredible cutting performance, and an elegant Damascus pattern unique to each knife.
RAZOR–SHARP BLADE With a cutting edge ground to a 16° angle on each side, this is one of the sharpest knives you’ll ever find. Plus, the exotic Japanese steels used in the cutting core ensure that blade holds its ultra–sharp edge without the need for excessive re–sharpening.
USER–FRIENDLY DESIGN Comfortable D–shaped handle and perfectly balanced blade offer precise control and reduce fatigue during long, repetitive cutting tasks. Handle is made of moisture–resistant PakkaWood®—a fused blend of hardwood veneers and phenolic resin.
PERFECT FOR TACKLING A VARIETY OF KITCHEN TASKS A low–frequency serrated edge makes this knife perfect for slicing delicate, thin–skinned fruits and vegetables, as well as chopping, mincing, slicing, and dicing. The broad blade and curved belly enable you to rock the knife on the cutting board. Plus, it makes a great sandwich knife: use the wide blade and rounded tip for spreading condiments and the serrated edge for slicing.
- Manufacturer: KAI USA Ltd.
- Care: Dishwasher safe, but hand wash recommended
- Dimensions: 6" blade
- Material: Forged 32–layer steel blade, PakkaWood handle
- Model: DMO741
- Warranty: Limited lifetime warranty
- Handcrafted in Seki City, Japan
- Originating in Seki City, Japan’s historical center for manufacturing samurai swords, Shun knives are heirs to a seven–century tradition of superior workmanship
- Shun Classic’s tasteful and contemporary design features beautiful Damascus–clad blades and D–shaped ebony PakkaWood®handles
- 32–layer forged construction gives the blade strength, stain resistance, and incredible cutting performance
- Cutting edge is ground to a 16° angle on each side, ensuring razor sharpness
- Perfectly balanced blade offers precise control
- NSF–certified knife meets the high–level safety standards for professional kitchens
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Handcrafted in Seki City, Japan
Questions & Answers
How long is the handle and how long is the blade? The discription of length is unclear as to which is 6"". The handle or the blad
A slicer and a bread knife, the U2 also has a blunt tip designed to be a spreader, so it’s great for making sandwiches. VG-10 steel blade is clad with 16 layers of stainless steel on each side, resulting in a striking finish and a blade profile that reduces sticking.
Ebony pakkawood handle with ergonomic “D” shape. Stainless steel bolsters and end caps. The blade is 6" long and the total length of the knife including the handle is 10 1/2".