The Art & Soul of Baking by Cindy Mushet
Illustrated asides take you step by step through important techniques, from carmelizing sugar to working with croissant dough. Plus, you’ll find invaluable information on over 100 ingredients and 50 baker’s tools. A true pleasure for anyone who loves to bake.
- The ultimate book for bakers.
- Professional tips and tricks are made easy for the home baker.
- Step-by-step techniques of baking.
- 100 photographs, 250 foolproof recipes and variations, and information on over 100 popular baking ingredients and over 50 pieces of baking equipment.
“...when a baking book in which the recipes perform as flawlessly as they do in The Art and Soul of Baking comes out, we’re particularly impressed.”—Gourmet magazine, October 2008, Cookbook Club selection
- “If you buy just one new baking book this season, make it this one. ...covers everything from essential equipment...and pantry staples to chapters on savory breads, quick breads, tarts, pies, cookies and cakes.... The recipes are exceedingly detailed and include do-ahead tips, notes on equipment needed, advice on storing the finished treats and suggestions for variations.”—Associated Press, September 2008
- “Mushet’s invaluable lessons in ensuring oven accuracy, incorporating butter into dough for layered pastries...and the causes of falling soufflés will get novices up to speed.... Those already comfortable with baking will get the most out of the book’s 250 recipes, but there are plenty of dishes well within the reach of those new to crème brûlée and lemon bar construction, making this a great volume to learn and grow with.”—Publishers Weekly, August 2008
- “Many elements combine to make a great cookbook, all of which are in The Art & Soul of Baking. ...the book possesses the singular quality that lifts a cookbook above the rest, and that is the ability to inspire. The Art & Soul of Baking inspires.”—inmamaskitchen.com
A destination for iconic chefs such as Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, Martha Stewart and Mario Batali, Sur La Table entices aficionados and curious beginners alike with its amazing selection of cookware and tools. With a successful catalog, website, culinary program and stores coast to coast, Sur La Table continues to share its passion for the traditions and tastes of the world with people who love to cook and entertain.
Cindy Mushet has been a pastry chef and baking teacher for nearly 20 years. After culinary school, she apprenticed at Chez Panisse and then headed pastry departments in California restaurants from Napa to Los Angeles, and managed her own specialty baking and confections business. She is the author of Desserts: Mediterranean Flavors, California Style (2000), and her recipes have appeared in books, magazines and newspapers across the country, includingBon Appétit, Fine Cooking, Country Home, the Natural Culinary Review, the New York Times, and The 150 Best American Recipes (2006).
For five years, she wrote and published the highly regarded journal Baking with the American Harvest, with subscribers nationwide. Cindy is a member of the International Association of Culinary Professionals, the Baker’s Dozen and Slow Food. A fun and engaging teacher, Cindy has taught baking classes across the country. Her passion is sharing the tips and techniques that make the craft of baking not just accessible, but a true pleasure.