Shun Pro Sho Yanagiba Slicers
The beautiful graffiti-etched blade is made with high-carbon VG10 steel, which takes and holds an edge longer than comparable knives. The blade backs are gently hollow ground, creating an air pocket between the knife and the food being cut, so the knife glides through food with quick precision. The wide shinogi (or blade bevel) makes sharpening these knives on a whetstone practically effortless.
The yanagiba (or willow blade) slicer features a long, thin, “willowy” blade that’s designed to be pulled through food. This creates the cleanest cuts imaginable and reduces the loss of natural juices.
Most often used for preparing sashimi, yanagiba knives are also excellent for slicing meats and other moist foods. Available in two blade sizes: 8¼" and 9½". Hand wash. Limited lifetime warranty. Handcrafted in Seki City, Japan. Due to the single-bevel design, Shun Pro knives are best suited for right-handed cooks.
Free sharpening on all Shun cutlery for as long as you own it. Click for details
HOLLOW GROUND BACK Creates an air pocket between the knife and the food being cut, so the knife glides through food with quick precision.
METICULOUSLY CRAFTED Using a traditional method called honyaki, skilled artisans create each knife from a single piece of high-carbon VG10 “super” steel. Knives feature exceptionally sharp edges that last much longer than comparable knives. Due to the hardness of the steel and precision processes required, honyaki-method knives are difficult to make and therefore more highly prized.
GRAFFITI-ETCHED BLADE Traditionally, custom Japanese knives featured etchings used to identify the knife maker. Each Shun Pro Sho knife features a beautiful acid etching that cleverly incorporates the company’s logo into the design so that it becomes part of the distinct pattern.
PAKKAWOOD HANDLE This premium material is made of genuine wood infused with resin for moisture resistance, strength, and durability. D-shaped handle ensures a secure and comfortable grip.
YANAGIBA: JAPANESE FOR “WILLOW BLADE” The yanagiba slicer features a long, thin, “willowy” blade that’s designed to be pulled through food, creating the cleanest cuts imaginable and reducing the loss of natural juices. Most often used for preparing sashimi, it’s also excellent for slicing meats and other moist foods. Available in three blade sizes: 8¼", 9½", or 10½".
- Manufacturer: KAI USA Ltd.
- Care: Hand wash
- Dimensions: 8¼", 9½"
- Material: VG10 high-carbon stainless steel, PakkaWood handle
- Warranty: Limited lifetime warranty
- Handcrafted in Seki City, Japan
- Originating in Seki City, Japan’s historical center for manufacturing samurai swords, Shun knives are heirs to a seven-century tradition of superior workmanship
- Features single-bevel blade design preferred by professional Japanese chefs
- VG10 “super steel” enables knives to hold their sharp edges for months or even years
- Hollow-ground back ensures the cleanest cuts with superior stick resistance
- Blade features beautiful etched pattern
- Wide blade bevel makes sharpening these knives on a whetstone practically effortless
- Comfortable, D-shaped PakkaWood handles resist moisture, adding strength and durability
Incredibly sharp edges, partnered with a stunning aesthetic, set Shun knives apart from every other kitchen knife on the market today. In the tradition of Seki’s sword smiths, every knife is hand made by highly skilled specialists and requires at least 100 handcrafted steps to complete.
Every day, the legacy of ancient sword smiths serves as an inspiration to KAI’s artisans. This tradition of excellence, combined with the newest technology and advanced materials, makes every Shun knife a functional work of art.
- Spend $500 on Shun cutlery and receive a $50 Sur La Table gift card by mail.