Serves: Makes 6 servings
- ¼cup extra virgin olive oil, or more if needed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or more if needed
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon capers, preferably salt packed, rinsed and finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 large shallot, finely minced
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small heads frisèe (about 2 quarts trimmed greens)
- 1 fennel bulb, halved lengthwise, very thinly sliced crosswise
- ⅓ cup minced fresh Italian parsley
- 1 large, ripe but firm avocado
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, capers, fish sauce, and shallot. Season with salt and pepper and adjust the oil-lemon balance to your taste.
- Tear the frisèe into bite-size pieces and put in a salad bowl. Add the fennel and parsley and toss to mix. Add enough of the dressing to coat the greens lightly; you may not need it all.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise and remove the pit. With a large spoon, scoop out the avocado halves from their skin, and put them, cut side down, on a cutting board. Slice thinly crosswise.
- Add the avocado slices to the salad bowl and toss gently so as not to break them up. Add a little more dressing if necessary. Taste, adjust the seasoning, and serve immediately.