Serves: Makes 4 servings
- 1 head radicchio, cored, leaves separated, and torn into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- 2 or 3 large, ripe bosc or bartlett pears, unpeeled, quartered, cored, and each quarter cut into 4 wedges
- 1 cup broken walnuts
- 10 ounces gorgonzola cheese, coarsely crumbled (about 2 cups)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Wedge of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for grating
- Make the Dough: Place the warm water in a small bowl and sprinkle with the yeast. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy. Stir to dissolve, if necessary.
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, cake flour, and salt, and stir to mix. Pour the yeast mixture over the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour, and turn the dough out onto it. Knead the dough, sprinkling the dough or the work surface with extra flour as needed to prevent sticking, for 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. The dough can also be kneaded in a heavy-duty food processor, or in a stand mixer with a dough hook.
- Shape the dough into a smooth ball, place it on a floured surface, and cover with an inverted bowl. let rise, at room temperature, for about 1½ hours, or until doubled in bulk. 5. About 45 minutes before baking the pizza, place a pizza stone, unglazed quarry tiles, or a baking sheet on the lowest rack in the oven, and preheat the oven to 500°F.
- When the dough is ready, use a large knife or a bench scraper to divide it into 4 equal pieces. With lightly floured hands, press out any bubbles that might have formed in the dough, and form each piece into a small smooth ball. Place about 4 inches apart on a lightly floured surface. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
- Generously dust a pizza peel or a rimless sheet pan (cookie sheet) with flour. on a lightly floured work surface, and with floured hands, pat out 1 ball of the dough, stretching gently and turning, into a round about 10 inches in diameter and ¼ inch thick, leaving the edges of the round slightly thicker. gently slide the peel under the round of dough.
- Top the Pizza: Arrange about 6 pieces of torn radicchio leaves on the dough round. Top with 8 pear slices, evenly spaced in a sunburst pattern. Sprinkle with about ¼ cup of the walnuts, and top with about ½ cup of the gorgonzola, distributing them evenly over the surface.