Serves: Makes about ⅓ cup
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cardamom seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 whole cloves
- ½ cinnamon stick, broken into small pieces in a mortar
Place a tawa or small, heavy skillet over medium heat and add the cumin, coriander, cardamom, peppercorns, fennel, cloves, and cinnamon. Heat, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes, until the spices turn a shade darker and become fragrant. Pour into a small bowl and let cool.
Transfer the cooled spices to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind or pound to a powder. Store in a glass jar or a spice tin with a tight-fitting lid. The blend will keep for up to 2 months before its flavor begins to dissipate.