Serves: Makes two 8-inch loaves
- Nonstick cooking spray, for preparing the pan
- 3 cups sifted unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ cup minced candied ginger
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 cup zucchini, grated on the large holes of a box grater
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Coat two 8½ by 4½ by 2¾-inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
Sift together the sifted flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder into a medium bowl. Stir in the salt and candied ginger.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until light and foamy. Add the canola oil, sugar, and vanilla, whisking vigorously until the sugar dissolves. Whisk in the carrots and zucchini.
Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture all at once and stir with a wooden spoon just until blended. Divide the batter evenly between the 2 prepared pans.
Bake until the breads are well risen and firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in the pans on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert and finish cooling right side up on the rack.