Serves: Makes 40 (2-inch) graham crackers
- 1½ cups graham flour, plus more for dusting
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, sift together the graham flour, all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, sugar, and egg on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the honey and vanilla and beat until smooth, stopping and scraping down the sides of the bowl once with a rubber spatula.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the sifted ingredients in 2 batches, beating after each addition until the flour disappears. Do not overmix. The dough should hold together and feel manageable for rolling.
- Press the dough into a flat disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, make the cinnamon-sugar topping. In a small bowl, combine the turbinado sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Position one rack in the center of the oven and another rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking liners, or use nonstick baking sheets.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface liberally dusted with graham flour. Dust the top of the dough with graham flour. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough into an ⅛-inchthick rectangle. Use a ruler to measure and a dinner knife to lightly mark 2-inch squares. Using a fluted pastry cutter or paring knife, cut out the squares and transfer to the prepared baking sheets, spacing the crackers 1 inch apart. Place the pan of crackers in the refrigerator while you roll the remaining crackers. Gather up the dough scraps, lightly dust with graham flour, reroll the dough, and cut out crackers until all the dough is used. Using the blunt side of a toothpick or wooden skewer, prick each cracker to form a 3 by 3 grid of evenly spaced holes (9 holes total). Using your fingers, sprinkle each cracker generously with the cinnamon-sugar topping.
- Bake the crackers until firm and nicely browned, about 14 minutes. Switch the pans between the racks at the midpoint of baking if the crackers appear to be baking unevenly. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely.