Serves: Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound slender carrots (about 6), well scrubbed but not peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh thyme
- Kosher or sea salt
Procedures:Who knew that carrots responded so happily to grilling? The dry heat of the grill concentrates their flavor, so they taste almost like a sweet potato. Serve these supersweet carrots with a pork roast or add to a platter of grilled vegetables.
- Prepare a moderate charcoal fire for indirect grilling or preheat a gas grill to medium (375°F), leaving one burner unlit.
- If the carrots are uniformly slender, leave them whole. If they are considerably thicker at the top than at the bottom, cut them crosswise into 3- to 4-inch lengths and halve the thick ends to make pieces of about the same size.
- Put the carrots on a platter, drizzle with the olive oil, and then roll the carrots to coat them lightly and evenly. Season with thyme and salt.
- Place the carrots over indirect heat, cover the grill, and cook, turning occasionally, until the carrots have softened, about 20 minutes. For the final minute or so of cooking, uncover and move the carrots directly over the coals or gas flame to char them slightly. Serve hot.