Serves: Makes 2 cups seasoning
- 1¾ cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 7 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 3½ teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher or sea salt
- 1¾ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1¾ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Procedures:This is popcorn for grown-ups! And what a great gift to give to college-age friends or family, young couples, or those married with children who are staying in for a date night. (Suggest on their gift card to pop in a movie and pop up some fresh popcorn once the kids are off to bed.) This fiery curry seasoning adds zest, spice, and sweetness to either freshly popped kernels or the microwave variety. It is essential to first drizzle melted butter over the popcorn and then toss it with some of the sweet and savory blend of curry powder, coconut, and other aromatic spices. This way, the seasoning sticks to each hot kernel. With a kick of heat, this is definitely an adult treat.
- In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulverize the coconut into tiny bits, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the curry powder, sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, and garlic powder. Pulse to combine.
- Divide into ¾-cup portions and transfer to jars or tins with tight-fitting lids.