Serves: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 small leek
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 (1 x 1½-inch) knob ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 small zucchini
- 3 ears fresh corn
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh herbs (such as cilantro, parsley, or mint, or a combination)
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
Procedures:This fresh, vibrant summer vegetable dish gives your knife skills an all-around workout. It's important to prep all the ingredients at the start because once you start cooking, everything goes quickly. Serve warm or at room temperature with roast chicken or grilled salmon.
- Cut all the vegetables and place in individual bowls: Trim the leek and cut the white and light green parts into ¼-inch dice. Core the peppers and cut into ⅜-inch dice. Peel the ginger and mince it to yield about 1 tablespoon. Finely chop the garlic. Trim the ends of the zucchini and cut them into ¼-inch dice. Shuck the corn and cut the kernels off the cob.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large (12-inch) skillet over medium heat. Add the leek and peppers and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened but not browned, about 3 minutes.
- Push the vegetables to the perimeter of the pan and pour the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil into the center. Add the ginger and garlic, and cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds. Increase the heat to mediumhigh, add the zucchini, season with ½ teaspoon of the salt, and cook, stirring all the vegetables together, until the zucchini is just barely tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the corn, season with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring often, until the corn is hot and the zucchini is tender (it shouldn't be mushy), about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let rest a few minutes.
- Sprinkle with the herbs and the feta, and toss gently. Add the lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste.