Serves: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 medium-large tomatoes
- ½ large seedless cucumber (6-inch piece)
- 4 green onions
- 1 cup (5 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
- 2½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 firm but ripe Hass avocado
- 2 tablespoons medium-chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- Good-quality bread, for serving
- Cut the tomatoes into ½-inch dice and put them in a large bowl. Cut the cucumber into ½-inch dice and add them to the bowl. Cut the white and light green parts of the green onions into ¼-inch pieces and add them to the bowl. Add the feta and olives to the bowl.
- Pour the lemon juice and olive oil over the vegetables. Toss gently. Pit the avocado and cut the flesh into ½-inch dice.
- Distribute the avocado on the salad, along with the parsley. Fold together very gently, just enough to distribute the avocado. Serve with bread to soak up the dressing that collects in the bottom of the bowl.