Serves: Serves 4-6
- 2 sprigs cilantro, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped white onion
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, plus 1 to 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 large, ripe avocados, halved, pitted, and scooped from skins
- 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into ¼-inch dice
- Tortillas chips, warm flour tortillas, or raw vegetables (such as cucumber, carrot, red bell pepper, or celery), for serving
Place the cilantro, onion, chipotle, garlic, and salt in a molcajete or other mortar and mash until blended and the mixture becomes a paste. Alternatively, finely chop together all the ingredients and place in a bowl.
Add the avocado, lime juice, and adobo sauce to taste and roughly mash with the tejolote until the avocado is coarse but creamy and the mixture is blended. Alternatively, use a potato masher, pastry blender, or the back of a fork to make a coarse, creamy mixture. Using a small rubber spatula, gently fold in the mango.
Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt. Serve directly from the molcajete or transfer to a deep, wide serving bowl. Serve with tortilla chips or raw vegetables.