Serves: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 8 ounces feta cheese, finely crumbled (about 2 cups)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ⅛ cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces frozen phyllo dough, thawed Olive oil, for brushing
Procedures:Feta is often sold packed in briny water, in which case be sure to drain it well and pat dry with paper towels to keep the filling from being too damp. Different brands of feta can range from dry and crumbly to softer and almost creamy. If the feta you’re using is rather dry, add another ounce of cream cheese to the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Combine the feta, cream cheese, green onions, mint, and cumin in a small bowl and stir well to mix. Season to taste with pepper.
- Lay out 1 sheet of phyllo dough on the work surface (keep the remaining sheets covered with a kitchen towel). Brush lightly with oil and lay another sheet on top as evenly as you can. Brush lightly with oil. Cut the phyllo sheets into strips 14 inches long and 4½ inches wide (into halves or quarters, depending on the size of your phyllo sheets).
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of the feta filling onto a phyllo strip about 1½ inches from the bottom. Fold the bottom edge of dough upward to cover the filling, then fold the filling upward 2 more times. Fold in both long edges, to enclose the sides of the filling, then continue folding the phyllo upward to form a tidy packet.
- Set the packet seam side down on the baking sheet, cover with a kitchen towel, and repeat with the remaining filling and phyllo dough. You should have about 20 packets in all. Lightly brush the pastry tops with oil. Bake for about 15 minutes, until puffed and brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.