Serves: Makes 12 flat breads
- 2 cups chapati flour, or 1 cup each whole wheat flour and unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ¾ cup warm water
- 4 tablespoons ghee, clarified butter, or unsalted butter, melted
Procedures:Chapatis are small, round disks of unleavened whole wheat bread cooked on a tawa or similar griddle. Chapati flour, a blend of wheat and barley flours, is available in Indian grocery stores and some Middle Eastern markets. If you can’t find it, you can use equal parts all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. Serve the chapatis warm brushed with melted ghee or plain butter.
- Place the chapati flour and salt in a large bowl. If using 2 different flours, stir with a wooden spoon until blended. add the water and 1 tablespoon of the ghee and stir with the wooden spoon until the dough comes together in a sticky ball. lightly dust a work surface with flour, and transfer the dough to it. knead for about 4 minutes, or until smooth. Invert the bowl over the dough and let rest for 20 minutes. meanwhile, clean the work surface.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. With floured hands, form each piece into a ball. lightly dust the work surface with flour. Place 1 ball on the work surface and press it with your palm into a disk about ½ inch thick. Using a rolling pin, roll out the disk into a round about 5 inches in diameter. Set the round aside and repeat with the remaining balls. As the rounds are rolled out, set them aside, without touching, and cover with a kitchen towel so they won't dry out.
- Heat a tawa or an 8- to 10-inch heavy skillet over medium to medium-high heat until hot enough for a drop of water to sizzle on contact. add a dough round and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until brown spots appear on the underside. Turn with tongs and cook for 2 minutes longer, or until cooked through. use the tongs to transfer the bread to a rimmed sheet pan and then cover with a towel to keep warm. repeat with the remaining dough rounds.
- Brush the warm breads with the remaining 3 tablespoons of ghee and serve at once.