Serves: Makes 4 servings
- 4 (6-ounce) pieces sea bass fillet (with or without skin)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeÃ±o chile, or pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon packed peeled, julienned fresh ginger
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, cut into 2-inch-long julienne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Hot cooked white or brown rice, for serving
Procedures:You can use other lean, mild fish in this recipe, such as halibut, tilapia, or striped bass, which, like the sea bass, will complement, rather than challenge, the seasonings. To ensure even cooking, select uniform pieces. If you have two bamboo steamers, put the fish on the bottom tier and put a vegetable, such as snow peas, on the top tier. Serve the fish atop a bowl of hot rice, and spoon the cooking juices from the fish over the top to moisten and flavor the rice.
- Place the fish in a single layer on a heatproof plate that will fit in your bamboo steamer.
- Slowly spoon the soy sauce about 1⁄2 teaspoon at a time over the fish, so that it soaks into the flesh. Then spoon 1⁄2 teaspoon of the sesame oil over each piece of fish. Sprinkle the chile and then the ginger evenly over the fish.
- Place the bottom of the steamer in a large wok and add just enough water so that the rim, but not the mesh, of the steamer touches the water. Place on the stove and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Place the plate in the steamer, making sure there is at least 1⁄2 inch between the edge of the plate and the steamer rim, so the steam will surround the food. Cover the steamer.
- Steam the fish until it is opaque in the center when tested with a knife tip. Thin pieces will take about 5 minutes, while thicker pieces will take 8 to 10 minutes.
- To serve, spoon the rice into deep bowls. Top each bowl with a piece of fish. Spoon the juices that collected in the plate over the top to moisten the rice. Arrange the green onions in a net pattern over the fish, then sprinkle with the black sesame seeds. Serve immediately.