Serves: Makes 4 servings
- 2 medium green zucchini, as straight as possible
- 2 medium yellow zucchini, as straight as possible
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or more if needed
- Kosher or sea salt
- 4 red onion slices, about 1⁄2 inch thick
- 4 pita breads, halved
- 1 cup Red Pepper Hummus
- 8 to 12 thin tomato slices
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Prepare a moderate charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill to medium (375°F).
- Trim the ends of the zucchini. Slice each one lengthwise about 3/16 inch thick. Brush the slices with olive oil on both sides, then season with salt. From opposing directions, insert 2 toothpicks horizontally into each red onion slice; the toothpicks will hold the onion layers together on the grill. Brush the onion slices with olive oil on both sides, then season with salt.
- Grill the zucchini and onion slices directly over the coals or gas flame, turning once, until they are nicely marked by the grill and just tender, about 3 minutes per side for the zucchini, a little longer for the onions. Remove the toothpicks from the onions. Cut the zucchini slices in half crosswise.
- Wrap the pita in aluminum foil and warm the package on the grill or in a moderate oven until the bread is hot.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread the interior of each pita half with the hummus, using about 2 tablespoons per half. Tuck some zucchini, red onion, tomato, and cilantro leaves into each pita half, dividing them evenly. Serve immediately.