Serves: Makes 10 to 12 servings
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons Spanish smoked paprika or sweet
- Hungarian paprika
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 dried red chiles, crushed, or 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into ¾-inch cubes
Procedures:I’ve sampled similar kebabs to these in tapas bars across the Andalusia region of Spain, with slight variations in seasoning, sometimes with a sauce and sometimes without. The key idea is that with just a few small cubes of pork at one end of each skewer, they are easily enjoyed as a one-bite snack.
Though outdoor grilling always adds an incomparable dose of flavor, you can certainly cook these kebabs under the broiler if you prefer. I’ve used the same marinated pork for main-course kebabs, cutting the meat into larger cubes and threading pieces of onion and green bell pepper between them. Twelve-inch skewers will be best for main-dish kebabs, which would serve six.
- Combine the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, sherry, olive oil, cumin, fennel, paprika, garlic, dried chiles, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to thoroughly blend. Add the pork cubes and stir to evenly coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, or overnight. (Alternately, you may transfer the pork and marinade to a resealable plastic bag for marinating.)
- Preheat an outdoor grill. If using bamboo skewers, soak about 32 six-inch skewers in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Thread 2 or 3 pork cubes onto the end of each skewer. When the grill is heated, lightly rub the grill grate with oil. Grill the kebabs for 8 to 10 minutes, until the pork is nicely browned and just a hint of pink remains in the center. Set the skewers aside on a platter, cover with foil, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.