Serves: Makes about 3½ cups
- 5 pounds plum (Roma type) tomatoes, cored and halved lengthwise
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. In a large bowl, toss the tomato halves with the olive oil, garlic, and salt. Arrange the tomato halves, cut side up, in a single layer, in large baking dishes. (You will probably need two.) Transfer to the oven and bake, brushing once or twice with the juices that collect in the baking dish, until the tomatoes are very soft and beginning to caramelize, about 3 hours. Do not let the juices blacken.
- Puree the tomatoes in a food mill fitted with the fine disk to eliminate the skins and seeds. Taste for salt. Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months.