Serves: Serves 8
- 2 quarts apple cider (unfiltered apple juice)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 navel orange, quartered
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 whole allspice
- 6 quarter-sized coins peeled fresh ginger
- 4 ounces (½ cup) dark rum or Calvados (optional)
- Put the cider, honey, and orange quarters in a large saucepan. Put the cinnamon sticks and allspice on a square of cheesecloth. Smack the ginger coins with the side of a chef's knife to release their juice, then put the coins on the cheesecloth square, too. Tie the cheesecloth with kitchen twine to make a spice bag and add it to the saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over moderately low heat, stirring to dissolve the honey. Cover partially and simmer gently for 30 minutes to marry the flavors.
- Put ½ ounce (1 tablespoon) rum in each of 8 mugs. Divide the hot cider among the mugs and serve immediately.