Serves: Makes 12 to 16 servings
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- About 2 cups pecan halves
Procedures:These little savory crackers—really more like cookies—are great passed with the salad course or set out on a table with olives and nuts while your guests enjoy a drink before dinner. I also like to make batches to offer as a tasty hostess gift, wrapped up in cellophane on a cute plate.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Combine the butter, cheese, salt, and cayenne in a large bowl and stir until thoroughly blended. Stir in the flour and knead gently but quickly with your hands until the mixture is firm and smooth.
- Roll the dough into balls, using about 2 teaspoons for each. Set the balls on the baking sheet about 1½ inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes. Carefully press a pecan half onto each cracker. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes longer, until the crackers and pecans are lightly browned. Let cool a few minutes on the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.