Serves: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 3 cups baguette cubes (about ½-inch cubes)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large heads Belgian endive, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 head radicchio, rinsed, dried, cored, and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- ⅔ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Arrange the baguette cubes in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake, tossing a few times to ensure even toasting, for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden. Drizzle the toasted croutons with the olive oil, toss to evenly coat, and set aside.
- For the vinaigrette, combine the sherry and balsamic vinegars, mustard, and garlic and whisk to blend. Whisk in the olive and vegetable oils, season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the endive, radicchio, cucumber, green onions, croutons, and half the cheese. Whisk the vinaigrette to reblend and drizzle two-thirds over the salad. Toss to evenly mix and arrange the salads on individual plates. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over and pass the remaining dressing separately for guests to add more to their taste.