Serves: Makes 8 to 10 Servings
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 2 heads frisée, trimmed, rinsed, and dried
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed, cored, and thinly sliced
- f½ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- ½cup coarsely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- ½ teaspoon roasted garlic mustard or Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the dressing, whisk together the hazelnut oil, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, and sugar in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Remove the few outer layers of leaves from the romaine heads and discard or save for another use. Rinse the remaining leaves and dry well. Tear the romaine into pieces, discarding the larger tough ribs. Tear the frisée into pieces.
- Combine the romaine, frisée, green onions, cucumber, and fennel in a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing over and toss well.
- Arrange the salad on individual plates, scatter the hazelnuts and cheese over, and serve.