Serves: Serves 6
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or more if needed
- 1 large shallot, minced
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 9 figs, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- ½ pound mixed baby salad greens
- ¾ cup walnut halves, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 3 to 4 ounces blue cheese, firm enough to crumble
Prepare a moderate charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill to medium (375°F).
To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and shallot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Using wooden skewers, skewer the fig halves lengthwise, putting as many on a skewer as will fit. Brush lightly with the melted butter. Grill directly over the coals or gas flame, turning once, just until hot throughout.
Put the baby greens and walnuts in a large bowl. Add the blue cheese, crumbling it as you add it. Add just enough dressing to coat the greens lightly; you may not need it all. Toss to coat the greens evenly. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add another squeeze of lemon, if needed.
Divide the salad among individual salad plates or arrange on a platter. Nestle the warm figs among the greens. Serve immediately.