Serves: Makes 4 servings
- 1-pound wedge green cabbage, cored and halved or quartered (about 4 cups)
- ½ red onion
- ⅓ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup canola or other flavorless vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon brown or black sesame seeds
- Using the wide shredding blade on a box or flat grater, shred the cabbage and onion directly into a large bowl.
- Make the dressing: In another large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, canola oil, lemon juice, sesame oil, ginger, salt, and sugar until blended.
- Add the cabbage, onion, and mint to the dressing and stir with a large fork to blend. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve chilled or at room temperature.