Serves: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 11⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (11⁄2-pound) medium celery root, peeled
- 2 Fuji apples
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Dijon Dressing
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Stir together the lemon juice and salt in a small dish and let sit until the salt is dissolved. Coarsely grate the celery root and immediately drizzle the salted lemon juice over, tossing to mix well. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Rinse the celery root under cold water, squeeze in your hands to remove most of the water, and dry well with paper towels.
- For the dressing, put the mustard in a medium bowl. Slowly add the boiling water, whisking gently. Add the oil in a slow stream, whisking constantly, to form a thick, creamy dressing. Whisk in the vinegar with pepper to taste.
- Place the celery root in a large bowl and fold in the dressing until evenly blended. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Shortly before serving, peel, core, and coarsely grate the apples. Stir them into the salad, arrange on individual plates, and top with a sprinkling of parsley.