Serves: Makes 6 servings
- 6 thick strips bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 head romaine lettuce, rinsed, dried, and cut into ribbons
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, rinsed, dried, and cut into ribbons
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 ripe avocadoes, pitted, peeled, and cut into
- ½ -inch cubes
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken breast (see below)
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, diced
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the dressing, whisk together the water, vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk in the olive oil, adding it in a thin stream, then whisk in the vegetable oil in a thin stream until the dressing is emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, until browned and crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to paper towels to drain.
- In a large bowl, toss together the romaine and iceberg lettuces. Arrange the greens as a bed on a large serving platter and scatter the green onions over. Arrange mounds of the bacon, avocado, chicken, blue cheese, tomatoes, and eggs around the outer edge of the salad greens. Drizzle the dressing over the greens, or serve alongside for guests to add themselves.