Serves: Makes 4 sandwiches
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened, plus
- 2 tablespoons, melted
- 8 slices dense country bread such as pugliese, about 1⁄4 inch thick
- 1⁄4 pound fresh goat cheese, cream cheese, or mild blue cheese, at room temperature
- 1 Asian pear, peeled, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 thin slices prosciutto
- Prepare a moderate charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to medium (375°F).
- Using the softened butter, butter 4 slices of bread on one side only. Top the remaining 4 bread slices with the cheese, spreading it evenly. Top the cheese on each slice with 3 or 4 pear slices. Add a few grinds of black pepper, then top with the prosciutto. Put the buttered bread, buttered side down, over the prosciutto. Brush the sandwiches with melted butter on both sides.
- Place the sandwiches directly over the coals or gas flame and cook, turning once, until the bread turns golden brown and the cheese softens, about 1 minute per side. Cut in half and serve immediately.