Serves: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 8 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the red onion and vinegar in a medium bowl and marinate at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain the onions, reserving the vinegar for the dressing.
- For the dressing, whisk together 2 tablespoons of the reserved vinegar, the orange juice, olive oil, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, combine the marinated onion and watermelon in a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing over, add the cilantro, toss to mix well, and serve.