Serves: Makes 8 servings
- 4 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 1½ cups finely shredded purple cabbage
- 2 large carrots, coarsely grated
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 teaspoons lemon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the green and purple cabbages, carrots, green onions, bell peppers, and basil. Toss to mix.
- For the dressing, stir together the crème fraîche, mayonnaise, olive oil, capers, mustard, and Tabasco in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to evenly coat. Set the coleslaw aside for at least 15 minutes before serving, or refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.