Serves: Makes 4 servings
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups (about 4 ounces) loosely packed baby greens
- 8 large radishes, julienned or coarsely grated
- ¼ cup finely minced tender fresh herbs (chives, tarragon, flat-leaf parsley, basil, and/or thyme)
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared pesto
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on the baking sheets into rounds about 5 inches across, 2 rounds per sheet. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and just lightly brown. Remove the sheet from the oven.
- Use a spatula (preferably nonstick) to carefully lift one of the warm cheese rounds from the baking sheet and drape it over the pizelle roller so that one edge of the round meets the point, wrapping the sides around to form a cone. Hold it for a few moments until set. Cool on a wire rack and repeat with the second cheese round. If needed, pop the baking sheet back in the oven for 30 to 60 seconds to rewarm so the round is easily pliable. Bake the second sheet and repeat the process to form 4 cones total. Set aside until ready to serve (in an airtight container if more than 2 hours in advance).
- For the vinaigrette, whisk together the vinegar, pesto, and sugar with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle in the olive oil, whisking to emulsify the dressing.
- Combine the greens, radishes, and herbs in a large bowl and toss to mix. Pour over the dressing and toss to evenly coat.
- Gently stuff some of the salad into the Parmesan cones. Arrange the remaining greens on each plate, top with the cones, and serve while the Parmesan is crisp.