Serves: Makes 4 servings
- 2 pounds beets (about 6), tops trimmed to within ½ inch of crown, scrubbed
- 1 red onion, slivered lengthwise
- Handful of ice cubes
- 2 oranges
- 4 tablespoons orange-infused olive oil or fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 romaine hearts
- Place the beets in the 8-quart steamer insert. Add water to a depth of 2 inches to the stockpot, making certain that the bottom of the insert won't touch the water. Bring the water to a gentle boil. Place the steamer insert over the boiling water. Cover and cook over medium to medium- low heat for 35 to 45 minutes, until a fork pierces the beets easily. use tongs to remove the beets to a plate. Let cool, then slip off the skins and cut the beets into ½-inch wedges. Transfer the beets to a large bowl.
- Place the onion slivers in a medium bowl and add water to cover. Add the ice cubes and soak the onion slivers for 15 minutes. Drain the onions in a strainer, discarding the water and any unmelted ice. Blot the onion slivers on a paper towel and add to the beets.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove 2 strips, each about 1 inch wide and 3 inches long, from 1 of the oranges. Cut the strips into long, narrow, julienne strips and add to the beets. use a sharp, thin knife to cut the peel and all of the white pith from both oranges. Working with 1 orange at a time, and holding it over the bowl containing the beets, cut along both sides of each segment to release it from the membrane, allowing the segments to drop into the bowl.