Serves: Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 1½ cups coarse bulgur
- 2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth, or 1¼cups each broth and water
- ⅓ cup dried cherries, golden raisins, or dark raisins
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Coarse salt
- ⅓ cup pistachios or walnuts, toasted (see below)
- Heat a 5-quart sauté pan over medium heat. Add the oil and tilt the pan to coat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes, or until golden. Add the bulgur and stir to coat with the onion and oil. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the bulgur is lightly toasted.
- Add the broth, cherries, cinnamon stick, and ½ teaspoon of salt, and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, or until the broth is absorbed and the bulgur is tender.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the toasted nuts.