Serves: Makes 42 cookies
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup tightly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Position one oven rack in the top third of the oven and one oven rack in the bottom third of the oven, and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Put the butter and both sugars in a large bowl. Using a mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Turn up the speed to medium and beat for another minute. The mixture should be blended and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg and vanilla and beat on medium-low speed until well blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Put the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl and whisk until blended. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid in the mixer bowl and beat on low speed just until only a few patches of flour remain. Add the rolled oats and cranberries and continue to beat on low speed until no patches of flour are visible and the ingredients are evenly blended. Scrape down the bowl and make sure there are no clumps of flour hiding in the bottom of the bowl.
- Use an ice-cream scoop to shape the dough into cookies, or shape the dough by measuring out 1 level tablespoon for each cookie and then rolling the dough between your palms into a ball. Space the balls about 1½ inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Place one baking sheet on each oven rack. Bake for 7 minutes, then switch the pans between the oven racks. Bake for another 6 to 7 minutes, until the cookies are golden brown around the edges. Transfer the pan to cooling racks and let the cookies cool completely. You may need to reuse the pans to finish baking all the cookies. Let the pans cool before you put more dough on them for baking. Store in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag for up to 1 week.