Serves: Makes 6 servings
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (up to 70% cacao), chopped
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 peppermint hard candies or mini candy canes
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream (from a can is fine, as long as it's real cream)
- Put the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Put the cream in a small saucepan and bring just to a simmer. Pour the cream over the chocolate, let sit for 1 minute, then gently whisk until the sauce is smooth and homogenous. Stir in the peppermint extract. Keep slightly warm.
- Crush the candies into small bits by putting them in a heavy plastic bag and smashing with a hammer, meat mallet, or the edge of a heavy pot.
- Put a scoop of ice cream in each of six bowls. Sprinkle over some crushed peppermint candies, then add another scoop of ice cream and more candies. Squirt on a little cloud of whipped cream, and drizzle the sundae with the chocolate-mint sauce. Serve immediately.