Serves: Makes 8 servings
- 1 (4-pound) whole uncooked corned beef
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices
- 1 bottle (750 ml) dry red wine, or more if needed
Brown Sugar Glaze:
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Set the corned beef fat side up in a baking dish. Sprinkle the spices over. Pour the red wine into the dish to come about halfway up the sides of the meat; add more wine if needed. Cover the pan with foil and braise the meat in the oven for about 4 hours, until the meat is fork-tender.
- For the glaze, stir together the brown sugar, sherry, and mustard in a small bowl.
- When the meat is tender, remove the pan from the oven and discard the foil. Scrape the spices off the surface of the meat and carefully ladle off about two-thirds of the wine (too much liquid will wash away the glaze). Drizzle one-quarter of the glaze over the meat. Return the pan, uncovered, to the oven and roast for 40 minutes longer, drizzling another layer of glaze over the meat every 10 minutes.
- Transfer the corned beef to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil, and let sit 10 minutes. Cut across the grain into slices and serve.