Serves: Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ cups chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup water
Cinnamon–Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 10-inch loaf pan, tapping to remove the excess.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice into a large bowl. Stir in the walnuts and raisins. Cream together the granulated sugar and butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until well blended and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time. With the mixer at low speed, blend in the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the applesauce (all at once) and water, to form a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for about 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly in the pan, then turn the cake out onto a wire rack and cool to room temperature.
- For the frosting, cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth and well blended. Add the confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time, blending at low speed. Add the cinnamon and vanilla extract and continue blending until thoroughly incorporated.
- When the cake is fully cooled, spread the frosting over the top and side. Cut the cake into slices and serve.