Serves: Makes 24 cookies
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup sesame seeds (untoasted)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Whisk together the melted butter, egg, and vanilla extract in a small bowl until well blended. Stir together the flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl. Add the butter mixture and stir to mix well and form a cohesive dough.
- Form the dough into a log that is ¾ inch thick, 2 inches wide, and about 12 inches long. Use a sharp knife to cut across the log to make ½-inch-thick slices. Spread the sesame seeds on a plate and press both cut sides of each cookie into the seeds. Set them seed side up on the baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake the cookies for 18 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned and firm. Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.