Serves: Makes 36 cookies
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- ½ cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground or grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Set 2 oven racks toward the center of the oven.
- Stir together the milk and baking soda in a small dish. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until well blended, then whisk in the brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla extract, and milk-soda mixture. Whisk until smooth and evenly blended. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the flour, oats, raisins, walnuts, dates, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.
- Drop the cookie dough by tablespoons onto 2 ungreased baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until puffed and nicely browned, switching the baking sheets halfway through. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.