Serves: Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1 bottle (750 ml) dry red wine
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup Cointreau or other orange liqueur
- ⅓ cup lemon or orange vodka
- 1 pear, cored, peeled, and diced
- 1 small orange, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1 small lemon, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1 lime, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1 cup club soda or plain sparkling water
- 1 peach or nectarine, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
Procedures:You can substitute diced apple for the pear. And in the fall when peaches are passed, you might find lovely purple plums to use in their place.
Combine the wine, sugar, Cointreau, vodka, pear, orange, lemon, and lime in a large pitcher and stir to mix. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
Just before serving, stir the soda into the sangria and add the peach. Serve in wineglasses or tall glasses, adding a few pieces of fruit to each glass.