Serves: Makes 1 quart
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large carrots, peeled, sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 medium fresh fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 medium celery root (celeriac), peeled, sliced
- ½ head of garlic, crushed (with peel)
- 6 large fresh Italian parsley sprigs
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 large fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 16 cups water
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
Heat oil in very large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots and next 8 ingredients. Sauté until vegetables are golden and begin to soften, about 15 minutes. Add 16 cups water and bring to a boil. Add peppercorns; reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours.
Strain vegetable mixture, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids in strainer. The broth can be made up to 5 days ahead of when needed. Cool slightly; cover and refrigerate.