Serves: Makes 10 servings
- 2 pounds Pitted Sicilian Nocellara del Belice Olives DOP Academia Barilla
- 10 mint leaves, chiffonade
- 10½ oz celery, julienne (about ½ bunch)
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil Monti Iblei DOP Academia Barilla
- Balsamic Vinegar from Modena Academia Barilla, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Chili flakes, to taste
Procedures:Nocellara Del Belice is the most famous of Sicily's olives. The modern Sicilian diet relies heavily on grains, vegetables, herbs and spices, olives and olive oil, fruit, nuts, seafood and cheeses. This diet leaves clues to the many people and cultures that have established themselves on the island, including the Siculi and Sicani, the Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Normans and Spanish.
Crush the olives and soften in water for a couple of hours. Drain and dry them well; place in a bowl and add mint leaves and celery. Toss salad with oil, vinegar, salt and chili flakes to taste. Serve with toasted bread.