Serves: Serves 10
- 35 oz Rice
- 4 eggs
- 4½ oz Parmigiano-Reggiano Academia Barilla
- 1 oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil 100% Italiano Academia Barilla
- 1 medium onion, small dice
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3½ oz frozen peas
- 3½ oz Peeled Cherry Tomatoes Academia Barilla
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch saffron
- 3½ oz Pecorino Dolce Academia Barilla, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, in a medium bowl
- 3 eggs, beaten in a medium bowl
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 16 cups oil for frying
Cook the rice in salted boiling water until al dente. Drain the rice and mix it in a large bowl with the eggs and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese; set aside to cool down.
In a saucepan over medium heat, add oil and sauté the onion until slightly golden about 8-10 minutes. Then add meat and brown. Once meat is browned, add the peas, cherry tomatoes, salt and pepper, pinch saffron and cook until sauce has reduced down by over half and is fairly dry.
Mix together the meat mixture, and Pecorino Dolce cheese. With moist, but not wet hands, form a 1 to 1½-inch ball of the rice mixture in the palm of one hand, and using the other thumb, make a depression as deep as the first joint of your thumb. Place some of the meat mixture in the hole and cover with rice. When all the balls are formed roll them in flour, then dip them in the beaten egg, followed by the bread crumbs.
Working in batches, fry the rice balls until brown and heated through, turning them as necessary, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the rice balls to paper towels to drain. Season with salt, let rest 2 minutes, and serve hot.