Serves: Serves 10
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil Unfiltered Academia Barilla
- 2 medium onions, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 28-oz cans Peeled Cherry Tomatoes Academia Barilla Sauce
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- 1 bunch basil, chiffonade
- Chili pepper, to tastes
- 1½ pounds rustic Italian bread, such as Giuseppe, ciabatta, or Colombo, cubed ½-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large heavy bottom 8-quart stock pot heat oil over moderately high heat until hot, but not smoking, and sauté onion and garlic, stirring, until softened, about 6-8 minutes. Add tomatoes, water or stock, basil and season with chili pepper to taste. Cook mixture, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Place the cubed bread on a baking sheet and toast the bread until golden brown, about 12-15 minutes. Add toasted bread to tomato mixture and simmer, stirring occasionally, until bread has absorbed liquid and soup is thick, about 40 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper. To serve, finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and serve hot.